Saturday, July 18, 2009

Vang Vien and Vientiane

This is Vien Vang, six hours south of Luang Probang by bus through some amazing country. I had a good time here. Most people come here to go tubing, but I figured I can do that at home. I had a better idea. . . . motorbike! Ever since Phu Quoc I've wanted to get back on one and I couldn't think of a better place to do it. I woke up to some rain, but was not deterred. . . . and I'm so glad I did it. I rode all day through the rain down the muddy dirt roads past little houses, farms, and villages. I can't think of a better way to spend my time.
I stopped to hike through some rice paddies to a cave. . . . the cave wasn't much, but the views were great





Stop for lunch. . . . no menu, only noodle soup that was so spicy I could barely handle it. . . . loaded up with chilis. The lady seemed to think the expressions on my face were hilarious. She was really sweet, brought me lots of water.


I rode over a few bridges like this one. On the other side were two women who had errected what looked like a very unofficial toll booth. The strung a bamboo pole across the road and demanded 20,000 kip for crossing the bridge. . . . I negotiated the price down to 5000 (about 80 cents). I'm pretty sure it was a scam, but what can you do? I admire their creativity and I'm sure they needed the money allot more than I did.





Finally, around 5 in the afternoon, as I was heading back to town the sun appeared out of nowhere.







This is the only paved highway in all of Northern Laos. . . . their version of I-95

After Vien Vang I headed south to Vientiane, the most laid back capitol city I've ever been to. Even it was quiet. Not too much to see or do either. I mostly just wandered around for a while before grabbing an English language newspaper and getting some coffee.







This monument was built in the 1960s with U.S. purchased cement that was supposed to have been used for construction of a new airport. . . . I think the Laotians are clearly better off with this:
This is Xien Khuan, better known as Buddah Park. . . . designed and built by an eccentric wealthy artist back in the fifties and then given to the city. The sculptures are all representations of Hindu gods and various Buddahs. I really loved this place.







2 comments: